Thursday, September 17, 2009

814. In Distress - John Wagoner

(Selected entirely from International Code of Signals, United States
Edition, published by U.S. Naval Oceanographic Office)

I am abandoning my vessel
Which has suffered a nuclear accident
And is a possible source of radiation danger.
You should abandon your vessel as quickly as possible.
Your vessel will have to be abandoned.
I shall abandon by vessel
Unless you will remain by me,
Ready to assist.
I have had a serious nuclear accident
And you should approach with caution.
The position of the accident is marked by flame.
The position of the accident is marked by wreckage.
I need a doctor. I have severe burns.
I need a doctor. I have radiation casualties.
I require a helicopter urgently, with a doctor.
The number of injured or dead is not yet known.
Your aircraft should endeavor to alight
Where a flag is waved or a light is shown.
Shall I train my searchlight nearly vertical
On a cloud intermittently and, if I see your aircraft,
Deflect the beam upwind and on the water
To facilitate your landing?
I do see any light.
You may alight on my deck; I am ready to receive you forward.
You may alight on my deck; I am ready to receive you amidship.
You may alight on my deck; I am ready to receive you aft.
I am entering a zone of restricted visibility.
You should come within visual signal distance.
I require immediate assistance; I have a dangerous list.
I require immediate assistance; I have damaged steering gear.
I require immediate assistance; I have a serious disturbance on board.
I require immediate assistance; I am on fire.
What assistance do you require?
Can you proceed without assistance?
Boats cannot be used because of weather conditions.
Boats cannot be used on the starboard side because of list.
Boats cannot be used on the port side because of list.
Boats cannot be used to disembark people.
Boats cannot be used to get alongside.
Boats cannot be used to reach you.
I cannot send a boat.
I require immediate assistance; I am drifting.
I am breading adrift. I have broken adrift.
I am sinking.
Did you see the vessel sink?
Is it confirmed the the vessel has sunk?
What is the depth of water where the vessel sank?
Where did the vessel sink?
I have lost sight of you.
My position is doubtful.
My position is ascertained by dead reckoning.
Will you give me my position?
You should indicate your position by searchlight.
You should indicate your position by smoke signal.
You should indicate your position by rockets or flares.
My position is marked by flame.
My position is marked by wreckage.
Are you in the search area?
I am in the search area.
Are you continuing to search?
Do you want me to continue to search?
I cannot continue to search.
I cannot save my vessel.
Keep close as possible.
I wish some persons taken off.
A skeleton crew will remain on board.
You should give immediate assistance to pick up survivors.
You should try to obtain from survivors all possible information.
I cannot take off persons.
There are indications of an intense depression.
The wind is expected to veer.
You should take appropriate precautions.
A phenomenal wave is expected.
I cannot proceed to the rescue.
I will keep close to you during the night.
Nothing can be done until daylight.