Sunday, September 08, 2019

1034. I Love To See You - James Laughlin


in the box of paperclips on by desk
it’s a good place for you because I

can look at you when I’m telephoning
or typing a poem or putting poems in-

to the copy machine to send to maga-
zines that don’t want them    I tried

putting you in the little ormolu
frame where the daguerreotype of

great-grandmother Henrietta used to
be but it didn’t suit    you looked

too formal (you have lovely manners
but thank heaven you aren’t formal)

so I pushed up the paperclips in the 
box and leaned you against the heap

it can’t be very comfortable ( paper-
clips are harder than hay) but you’re

smiling away as if you loved it    I
hope you’re also smiling because you

love me so much you don’t care where
I keep you even in the paperclip box.



Her Reply

I like my picture to be in the box
where you keep your paperclips    I

imagine that when you reach for a
clip you are reaching out for me

it’s a gesture you’ve made a thou-
sand times (whenever you’ve needed

a clip) but now I hope it has be-
come different    given a new mean-

ing by my image    does the movement
of your hand now plead more for me

than thought or memory can    even
at this distance I feel the touch

of your fingers    do they feel they
are touching me    or must I become

again only the icon of my everyday
self as ordinary as your paperclips?



No comments: